Sunday, February 27, 2011

A New Plan

With racing on hold for the foreseeable future (with a few low-cost exceptions thanks to SteveQ), and my motivation to run slowly returning, I've come up with a plan that that may keep me sane for the next few months.

Instead of training for a specific race, I'm going to rebuild my base.  I'll start at 20 miles next week, then increase that by 10-15% per week until I get to about 50mpw.  This build-up phase will take between 2–3 months.  From there, I'll stay mostly constant at 50mpw.

I'll de-emphasize speedwork, but will throw in the occasional fartlek to keep things exciting.  I won't do hill repeats, but I'll stick to my hilly routes (the benefit of living at a local elevation maximum in St. Paul).

At some point, I'll race again, and when I do, I'll switch to a speed phase.  I'm thinking some pseudo-Lydiard periodization here, but whatever happens after my "base phase" will be determined by whatever race I do, and I've got no clue what that will be.

Not my ideal 2011, but I'll try and make the best of what I've been dealt.

2 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a great plan. I'd love to get up to around 40 miles a week myself (I'm at about 30 now.)

Stopping by from Detroit Runner's blog after reading your excellent responses to his questions about the long slow run.

Matt said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'm actually a bit behind on my new plan because of the flu, but should be getting back into things soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails