Wednesday, February 23, 2011

To Run

Why do I run?  I can't really offer a reason other than I run because I run.  Some days I run because I want to get faster.  Other days it's to let off steam.  Still other days it's to enjoy the world in which we live.  I just run.

I haven't run much lately.  In fact, there was almost a 2 week gap between runs.  We had the best weather since November, and I didn't run.  There have been some major personal changes in the last week or so, and I guess I've just been in a funk.  Typically, I'd run to de-stress over something like this, but I just didn't feel like running.  Even last night, my first run in 12 days, I didn't really feel like running.

One excuse I could give would be the major change in my 2011 racing calendar.  Here's the calendar:

Securian Winter Run, 1/29/2011

Yup, that's it.  Because of some of these changes, race fees got axed from the budget.  No Irish for a Day 10 mile, no Brian Kraft 5k, no Red, White and Boom Half.  A change like this is enough to strip one of the motivation to run pretty quickly.  Why punish oneself with 12x400s if there isn't a race you're training for? But I suppose that's just an excuse.

To be honest, I'm at a loss for what to do.  I like each of my runs to have a purpose.  Each one should fit with the others like pieces of a puzzle.  So when people say that even though I'm not racing this year I should still run, it's just not that simple.  Why run 5 miles when I can run 3?  Why run fartlek when I could just lounge around at home?  When I run, I just don't know what to do.

My apologies for this departure from the usually light-hearted tone of this blog.  I've had a lot on my mind lately, and this post is mostly an outlet for those thoughts.

5 comments:

shannon said...

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult major personal changes.

Have you thought about joining a running group? There are several in the metro area. I have met some very nice people from Twin Cities Running Club. Running with a group is a great way to stay motivated and it's also a great source of support in general.

WhoSheIs said...

Maybe people can gift you races for your birthday or something. You're a June baby. That could work well.

Matt said...

@Shannon: I've never really thought about a running club before, but now I'm curious about them. Sadly, though, a running club would have to wait until the budget can support one.

@Cat: That's a nice idea, but I don't think I'd actually accept something like that. This is really only one year of my life, and things will turn around someday.

SteveQ said...

The Ron Daws 25K is still $4 (I think), the Langford Park 4th of July 4 Mile is still $0.50; if I need to race and have no money, I still find something. Best of luck!

Matt said...

SteveQ: Thanks for suggestions--I had no idea that such inexpensive races existed! It may be a bit too late for me to get ready for the 25k, but that 4 miler in July could definitely be a thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails