Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Happy Pączki Day!

Most people realize that today is Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, the end of Fasching, and the end of Mardi Gras (tomorrow being Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent).  But, today is also Pączki Day!  What is a pączki?  It's this:

A raspberry one—my favorite

A pączki (pronounced like poonch'-key) is similar to a jelly doughnut, but very different.  It's a Polish jelly-filled (or custard-filled, or even plain) tradition that's deep-fried in lard.  Lots of lard.  You don't want to know the nutritional facts of one of these (hint: one of these probably meets your recommended intake of fat and calories for at least 3 days).

If you live in the Detroit area, you know that life stops on Fat Tuesday so everyone can have their pączki.  Either you or someone you know goes to Hamtramck every year to get these.  If not, you can pick them up at any grocery store.

For Detroit expatriates like me, finding a pączki is much tougher.  Some friends can't find them in Lawrence, Kansas.  Some try really hard to find them in Florida.  So far, I've found only one place in the Twin Cities that makes them—Kramarczuks.  They're pretty good, but not quite Hamtramck quality.  Since I ate mine yesterday (scandalous, I know), I'm ready for Lent to start.  And I have to run about 30 miles to work it off.

---

A few miscellaneous (aka, running-related) items: 
  • I was supposed to do a virtual 5k last Saturday as part of Detroit Runner's blog.  But, I was down with the flu, so it didn't happen.  I'll be doing the 5k this week sometime.
  • Speaking of virtual races, Steve in a Speedo is organizing a virtual 5k as part of the "Run for Christchurch" initiative.  Christchurch, New Zealand suffered a pretty severe earthquake recently, and this is an effort to raise money to help the people of Christchurch.  I'll be joining up on Saturday to run.  Here's the link to the event (and how to donate).

3 comments:

1k4tribike said...

The pączki looks sinful. Do have something with chocolate inside?
We have a similar tradition here in this part of the world during Chinese New Year, happened second week of February. Local Filipino-Chinese give out this round cake made from sticky rice. For good luck. Calorie count is just the same as your pączki.

Happy pączki day to you!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Ha - I as just going to ask if you still planned on doing it. Maybe you can run off the Paczki now. Sorry you are not feeling well.

Matt said...

@1k4tribike: I've never seen one with chocolate, but I'm sure such a thing exists. It actually sounds good with chocolate... And the sticky rice cake sounds delicious too.

@Detroit Runner: Thanks for dropping by to check up on me! I didn't forget, and I'll have a race report up tomorrow (and hopefully I'll make a dent in the thousands of calories...).

Related Posts with Thumbnails