Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goals for 2011

Before I talk about goals, I have an announcement.  Adam from The Boring Runner has informed me that I  won the "Yaktrax Award" for the Freeze Your Thorns Off Virtual 5k.  The prize is virtually nothing, but I am virtually thrilled to receive it.  I hope to use my title to help other runners in need--those who have found themselves snowy, cold, and without traction in life.  I will not stop working for them until our coefficients of friction have increased and our Domes inflated.  Here I stand.

---

2011 is here, and I'm starting to put together races and training for the upcoming year.  I've not finalized my race schedule yet, but here are the ones I'm looking at right now:

  • Securian Winter Run Half Marathon
  • Irish For a Day 10 Mile
  • Human Race 5k or 8k
  • Cannon Falls Duathlon
  • TC 1 Mile
  • Brian Kraft 5k
  • Croixathlon
  • Red, White, and Boom Half Marathon
  • TC 10 Mile
There will be other races, but I'm most certain about these.  I had considered the MDRA Grand Prix, but since I missed one of the events already, I don't know if there are enough races left that I would do to make it worthwhile.

Anyway...  Beyond races, I'm hoping to join the circus setting a few goals for myself this year:
  • Race More:  I like racing, and there are so many good races around here that I'd like to experience, so I'm going to do some of them.  I'm not constrained by marathon training this year, so I can race more often without worrying as much about injury.
  • Add More Variety To Racing: I have a confession to make--I've never raced a 10k.  While I don't have a 10k on my schedule yet, I'd like to do one.  And a 10 mile.  And a 1 mile.  And more Fun Size Marathons.  Variety is good for the body and for the mind, and doesn't hurt with packets of M&M's either.
  • Average AT LEAST 40 Miles Per Week: The thing that helped me the most last year was not drowning an increase in mileage.  40 mpw isn't super high, but I think it's a pretty good goal to shoot for.
  • Run a sub-20 5k: Let's just call this one Unfinished Business.
  • Run a 5'20' Mile: This is an "out there" goal, but 5'20" is the fastest I've ever run a mile, so if I can match that, I'd be happy.
  • Don't Drown: I'll be doing 2 or 3 triathlons this year, and each one during which I do not drown will be a victory.
  •  Rehab Roy: Roy is my faithful 2-wheeled companion (below).  Roy is a bit tired, though, and will need some work if I want to do some duathlons and triathlons.  {Rant: Did you know that Roy would be banned from the Rev3 Cedar Point Triathlon?  I'm not doing that race, but Katie is thinking of it, and she told me this awful news.  What kind of a triathlon bans mountain bikes?  Not a great idea for a competition that tries to seem not so elitist.  /Rant}  For Roy to make it through another year, I'm going to need to replace the brake and shifter cables.  A new chain may be in the works, too.  After this, I expect Roy to live many, many more years.
Have you thought about your goals for 2011 yet?  Do you like planning as much as I do?  Are you hopelessly attached to a 13 year old mountain bike?

1 comment:

WhoSheIs said...

Do a race in Ames!!!! I'll look some up, some day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails