Wednesday, May 05, 2010

My Shoulders are Sore

Running is primarily a lower body activity.  Sure, it's very important to have good core strength to keep up the running form, but it's still focused on the legs.

Well, swimming is not a lower body activity.  Even though I kick in a frantic and haphazard manner, my arms still do most of the work.  So, here are my workouts from the past 3 days:

Monday Morning: My first "swim"*.

Tuesday Morning: 4 mile run at 7'54" pace.  I'll admit that this was a faster than I had intended, but I felt good, so I kept the pace going.

Tuesday Afternoon: Another swim, 50 yards longer than my first.

This Morning: 7x400 on the track.  With a new race under my belt, I was able to calculate a new interval pace, so these were faster than the last set of 400s that I did.  So, these 400s hurt.

Now, you would think that my legs should be in rough shape after 2 tough runs in a row, right?  Nope, my legs feel fine and my shoulders are quite sore.  It's a weird feeling to have my upper body this tired.  I had been doing strength training over the past few months, but that just doesn't compare to the workout I apparently got while "swimming".

* At this point, when I say "swimming", I mean that I do something that roughly approximates what other people call swimming.  Maybe someday I can lose the scare-quotes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails