Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fitness Tracking Software

When I ran cross-country in high school, I didn't bother tracking what type of workout I did.  If Mr. Sprow said to run to the freeway and back, that's what we did.  Simple.  Nowadays, though, I need someplace to track what I'm doing.  I've been using 2 sites recently, and thought I'd give my opinion on them.

If you remember, I used to use the Nike+ system.  I don't use this anymore, mainly because I found it to be very inaccurate—even after calibration.  Still, it was fun and easy to use, and for such a low price, it works for some people.  I just can't recommend it, though.

Runner's World Training Log

A few months ago, I discovered the training log on RunnersWorld.com.  It's pretty easy to use, but is rather full-featured.  It can make super fantastic graphs with pretty much any variables you would like.  Here's my Pace vs. Distance graph:


Pros
  • Lot's of features including mapping and graphing.
  • Ability to enter interval workouts by segment (i.e. if you're doing 8x200 repeats, you can enter the time for each repeat, recovery, and rest, and then autosum and analyze the data.) This is probably my favorite feature.
  • Easy to use mapping system.  I wish it had a "follow roads" feature, but it works a lot better than mapmyrun.com and can provide elevation data.
  • Being Runner's World, you have access to all kinds of articles and probably the most comprehensive forum available for runners.
Cons
  • It can be a little buggy.  Sometimes, when I hit "save" for a workout or a map, it doesn't register, and I have to re-enter the data.
  • Not really that great for multi-sport athletes.  You can enter all sorts of cross-training (biking, strength training, swimming, walking), but all of those are lumped together into a general "cross training" category.  You can't analyze the data from the cross training like can with the running.  It is Runner's World, though, so you can't really fault them for this.

Dailymile

When Katie convinced me to do the triathlon, she told me to join Dailymile because she and all of the other people in her group doing the triathlon were members.  I decided to sign up just to see what it was like.  In essence, Dailymile is Facebook for athletes.  It is pretty much a social network where you enter workouts.

Pros
  • Easy to interact with your training friends.  You can comment on each others' workouts, and the home page is set up almost identically to Facebook's News Feed.  It helps you keep up with people's training, even if you don't train with them.  You can join groups and events, just like Facebook too.  It might be like Twitter, but I'm not a Twit, so I don't know anything about that.
  • It's better for multi-sport athletes.  It can analyze data for running, cycling, swimming, and other activities.  You can enter an "other" workout, too (like when I entered trying on wetsuits as a 1 hour workout).
Cons
  • It's a lot like Facebook.  It's not a very serious training site.  It can't analyze data like other sites can.  Workouts are rated with "smiley faces", and you can't even figure out when you did a workout (it just says "3 days ago"; can I get a date and time, please?).  It looks kinda hokey too.
  • The mapping is inaccurate.  I rode my bike to and from campus yesterday.  The ride home is longer because I take a slightly different route that is less direct.  However, Dailymile said that the longer ride covered less distance than the shorter ride.  This is not correct.
  • The forums are kinda hokey, too, and not very comprehensive.
  • It's a lot like Facebook.

I prefer Runner's World to Dailymile, but I'm going to keep using Dailymile for a while just for the integration with friends.  I'll probably give it up after the triathlon.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails