Sunday, September 26, 2010

7 Days to Go: A Short(s) Problem

With the marathon now only 1 week away, I'll be posting each day as part of my marathon countdown.  Today's topic is choosing my attire for the race.  Barring any crazy weather (rain, snow, etc.), I've got most of my running outfit set:

Singlet, sunglasses, Adrenalines, and socks

Clearly, there is something missing from that photograph—shorts!  I'm vacillating between two pairs:


On the left are my trusty gray, Target brand shorts that I do most of my training in.  On the right are my red racing shorts.  I had originally planned on wearing the gray shorts, but now I really can't decide.  So, yes, I'm involving you in my decision about what shorts to wear.

Gray Shorts

Pros
  • Trained in them, so I know I won't have any issues on a long run (say, 26.2 miles).
  • They're a bit more substantial, and since I'll be pinning 4 or 5 Gu packets to them, I'm sure they can handle it.
Cons
  • They're boring.
  • Katie sometimes has issues spotting me in the marathon crowd, so a blue shirt and gray shorts don't exactly make me stand out.

Red Shorts

Pros
  • They're visible, so Katie will be happy.
  • They're my racing shorts, so I'll just feel faster.
Cons
  • Haven't used them for a distance longer than a Pikermi, so I can't be sure there won't be any long distance issues.
  • I don't know that they can support 5 Gu packets.

So, clearly this is a dilemma between the practical and the sentimental.  I know the red shorts won't make me any faster, but wearing the short, racing shorts puts me in the racing mindset.  It helps me transition from training to racing, and the biggest hurdle of the marathon is the mental one.

I don't have too many worries about chafing and whatnot because I'll most likely have a pair of compression shorts on underneath whichever pair of shorts I choose.  Still, new things on race day make me nervous.

What ends up being the greatest mental advantage?  Is it knowing that you have everything planned out perfectly, and that there won't be surprises?  Or is it having that mental boost from a seemingly silly thing like red shorts?


2 comments:

Batman said...

Red.

Take 'em out tomorrow and do three or four miles with some Gu. Then stop worrying.

Planning is what you do before the race. Racing is what you do at the race.

So wear racing shorts.

-Will be cheering for you from Kalamazoo-
Steve Vaught

WhoSheIs said...

I second that vote for the hot pants.

Related Posts with Thumbnails