Sunday, April 19, 2009

An Accidental 5k

I run on Summit Avenue. Many people run on Summit Avenue. It is quite beautiful, and has a wonderful grass median for most of its length (I should post pictures). It also connects directly to the Mississippi River Parkway--also very nice.

This past Saturday, I set out for a longer run (~5 miles). About 1.5 miles into the run, I was approaching the University of St. Thomas along Summit, and there was a grouping of people under a big "Start" banner. I figured it was a race. As luck would have it, the gun went off the exact same time I passed the starting line. So, lo and behold, I found myself in a 5k!

Well, I was running on the grass, and they were on the tarmac. I had already run a mile and a half, and they were quite fresh, but it was exciting nonetheless. I stuck with them along the river parkway, but peeled off around their 2k marker. For this, I was rewarded with a Cranbrook-esque hill.

'Twas a fun 2 kilometers, and maybe I'll incorporate a 5k into my training this summer.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails