I'm living within walking distance of downtown Rochester, which means I can walk to a really cool small-town "main street". Even better than that are all the great places to run. Here's a map and the rundown (pun intended):
I'm live near the red star. (I suppose it is sort of a planned community...)
- The blue line is the Macomb-Orchard Trail. It's a paved trail that goes east about 30 miles from Rochester to Richmond. It's a great place for bike riding, and I'd like to make it out to Romeo, MI before the year is over.
- Following the Macomb-Orchard Trail, one can get to Stony Creek with ease. Stony Creek (the orange triangle), is a great Metropark with paved trails, hiking trails, a lake, hills, and all kinds of fun things that are free if you enter on foot or by bicycle.
- Heading southwest from my apartment along the green line is the Clinton River Trail. It's a crushed limestone trail that eventually connects all the way out past West Bloomfield (about 30 miles). If I were to ride my bike to work (which I hope to do), this is the way I would go.
- Rochester itself is a great place to run. Calm, residential streets on a (mostly) grid-like system.
- From downtown Rochester, one can connect to the Paint Creek Trail. This dirt trail heads northwest from town all the way out to Lake Orion (about 10 miles away). This is my favorite place to run, and the colors along the trail are fantastic right now.
In fact, this past weekend I went on my longest bike ride ever and went to Lake Orion and back. On my way out, I came across these signs:
Signs Read: "CAUTION: Stay on Trailway, Archery Range"
Uhh, ok. This is likely the most dangerous place I've ever cycled through. I risked gaining a few extra holes in my body and continued to Lake Orion.
I expected the trail to put me close to downtown Lake Orion, but it ended in a CVS parking lot. Befuddled, I turned around and headed back. I made a quick stop at the Paint Creek Cider Mill, and after a total of 20 miles, I completed my longest ride ever.
Now I just need to find some fun races to do around here!