Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just to Be Clear

Things I hate:
  • Sunburns
  • Blowing 60 bags of insulation into the attic on a hot summer day
  • That infernal plastic packaging that one must mutilate to enter at the risk of dismembering oneself
Things I don't hate:
  • Triathletes
  • Duathletes
  • Cyclists
  • Iowans
Let me clear things up a bit.  On my Holly Tri Race Report, someone left an anonymous comment that went like this:
it looks like you need a tag for "hating on everyone who is not a *pure* runner from Michigan or Minnesota". So far, you can apply it to not liking triathletes, duathletes, cyclists, and Iowans! :-)
I get it.  It doesn't take much of a spine to leave an anonymous drive-by comment on a blog, particularly if you craft a smiley at the end to assuage any shame you may feel for the harsh tone.  But really, it doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is that people are getting the impression that I "hate" anyone.  Thus, let me make these points clear:

  1. I like Iowans.  As far as scenery goes, however, the state is lacking.  Can you maybe put up a few more billboards?  Another truck stop?  A giant ball of twine?
  2. I dislike it when someone is discourteous towards me.
    • Corollary: In this case, discourteous would mean not alerting someone that you are passing them (this includes triathletes, cyclists, duathletes, runners, beavers, and old ladies on Hoverounds).  
  3. I find it rude when I speak to you and you ignore me.  I don't expect much in the way of a response, but treating me like I don't exist is bothersome.
 On this blog, I offer my observations and opinions on training.  I'm always willing to discuss something, and I freely admit that I'm not always right (in fact, I'm probably right less than 50% of the time).  But if you want to accuse me of "hating" someone, then have the gumption to sign your name.

    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails