Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Same Great Taste, 50% Less Winter

Minnesota can be...trying during the winter.  Lately, I've dealt with this:


and this:


and this:


and, putting a damper on Dome Running, this:


So, when it came time to head to Michigan for the holidays, I wasn't exactly going to miss Minnesota weather.  Now, I'm not saying that Michigan is like Florida, but at least Michigan doesn't have so much snow that it doesn't know where to put it.

This past summer, my folks moved.  Instead of driving to Lake St. Clair to run, I can just go right from their house.  There aren't many trails and parks in Metro Detroit that are good for running, but there is one right in front of my parents' house--the Metro Parkway Bike Path:


It's a little tough to see, but I took this photo from the front door of the house.  There's a snow covered path/bike trail just 20 feet from the mailbox.  If you go left, you'll eventually get to Freedom Hill.  If you go right, you'll get to Metro Beach.  Not a bad place for running.

There was a dusting of snow, so Yaktrax were necessary

Snow, but not so bad as Minnesota

The bridge going over Groesbeck was a bit more snowy because they don't plow it.  Nice "hill" though.

It started to melt by the time I headed back

A sad thing is that in my 6ish miles, I saw one other runner.  In Minnesota, no matter how bad the conditions, you'll see other crazy people out running.  Oh well, at least it was a good run.

3 comments:

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I live about 15 minutes from your parents. You are right, I run 5 times a week and hardly ever see other runners. If you want to see runners here though, go to Stoney Creek and they will be all over the place. They plow and salt the path so its clear all year.

Johann said...

Great runs for this time of the year. Some beautiful photos there! Happy running!

Matt said...

Ahh, Stoney Creek. I guess that is much closer now (but still a bit of a drive). I've only been there once, and it was for a cross country meet back in high school. From what I remember, it was a beautiful place to run (but I think I got my slowest time of the season there!). Maybe I'll try and check it out.

Happy running to all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails