Sunday, August 29, 2010

Product Review: Scape Athlete Sunblock

I don't like sunscreen.  I hate having to put it on.  I hate the greasy feeling.  I hate it running into my eyes.

But I wear sunscreen a lot.  In fact, I don't usually wear sunscreen, I wear sun armor—SPF 50.  So, when I read about a new sunblock made just for athletes, I decided to order some and give it a try.  Here is my review of Scape Athlete Sunblock.

The Products



Scape sunblock is targeted primarily at athletes.  It's active ingredient is avobenzone, which is a more advanced UV blocking agent than zinc oxide.  The benefit of something like avobenzone is that it bonds to your skin really well, and thus doesn't run into your eyes.  Or, at least that's the idea.  You can get it in a few different forms, including SPF30 and SPF50 lotions, foam, lip balm, a face stick, and a spray.  I got the SPF30 lotion and a face stick.  I tried both on my run yesterday, and had really positive results.  Both products block both UVA and UVB rays—a critical thing in any sunblock you buy.

SPF30 Lotion



The traditional lotion comes in a 4oz bottle.  I was surprised when I put it on that I didn't have the overwhelming desire to wash my hands afterwards.  I hate sunscreen on my hands, but this stuff could be wiped off pretty easily with just a towel.

I put the lotion on my arms and neck for my 20 mile run.  The big thing I noticed is that it didn't keep me from sweating.  This is very good.  I've been using Banana Boat Sport sunblock, and it causes me to overheat a bit because it blocks my sweat glands a bit.  Scape doesn't do this.

Another observation was that the sunblock was still there after my run.  I don't know how effective it was at blocking UV rays at that point, but it says something that I could still see the sunblock on my arms after running for over 3 hours while sweating and dousing myself with water.  I will say, though, that I didn't burn, so it was effective.

Face Stick



I tried the Face Stick (SPF50) on my face—duh.  I've never really thought of using a stick of sunscreen on my face, but it actually makes sense.  Furthermore, the product says it can be applied to wet or sweaty skin, so I could see myself taking this with me on a longer run or bike ride and applying a second coat even if I'm already drenched in sweat.

Like the lotion, I had no issues with it blocking my sweat glands.  I was able to sweat like a horse much like I usually do.  I also had no issues with it running into my eyes.

How effective is it blocking UV rays?  I can't offer any scientific opinion, but I didn't burn on my run, and I only applied it once.  On my long runs, I take a small rag with me and I'm constantly wiping the sweat off my face.  Even after doing all that, the sunblock still stayed on.  A big plus.

The Nitty Gritty
So, this sunblock is great stuff, right?  Well, it is, but it also has a major flaw: it's pricey.  The 4oz bottle of lotion was $14.95, and the face stick was $11.95.  Since the nearest store that sells the sunblock is in Sioux City, IA, I had to find an online dealer.  I ordered from trisports.com, and had to pay $9.75 in shipping.  So, for 4oz of lotion and a face stick, my grand total was almost $40.

Note: I only ordered the face stick because I thought it would be silly to pay ten dollars in shipping for a fifteen dollar tube of lotion.  By adding the face stick, the shipping didn't change, so I at least got a bit more bang for my buck.

Funny Side Note: When I was checking out, trisports.com asked me if I wanted them to use a "Tri Earth Green Box Re-Used Packing Box".  I said that was ok, and look what they sent me: 



So, by re-using a box, I get a huge box filled with packing paper for two small sunblock products.  Most of this packaging material could have been avoided by just sending the products in a small envelope.  Sometimes people go "green" without common sense.

The Verdict
Do I recommend this product?  Yes…but it's too expensive to become my sunblock of choice.  Sure, it works better than any sunblock I've used, but I can't justify paying $15 when I can get 8oz of another "sport" sunblock at Walgreens for $10.  If you have big problems with sunscreen running into your eyes, give Scape a try, but just remember you'll be paying for all the advanced technology.

Websites

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails