Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Swimming Progress

I'm not a natural swimmer.  I'm sure you know this.  Watch me in the pool, and the term that comes to mind is "sophisticated drowning".  Nonetheless, I've been working to improve my swimming.  I signed up to take private swimming lessons, and so far have completed 2 of the 3.  My coach, Kalli, is really knowledgeable, and finds ways to help me with my stroke.  She's given me some good drills to use, and I think I've sensed some improvement.

Still, I haven't been able to do much beyond short swims.  When the pool is set up in its 50 meter configuration, I barely make it one length.  I'm typically gasping for breath, and my form has gone to hell after about 30 meters.  Not a good sign if I want to swim ¼ mile in the triathlon.

This week, though, Kalli sent me some workouts for my own use.  There are 3 of them.  1 focuses on endurance, 1 on drills/technique, and 1 on speed.  Today, I picked the endurance one to work on.  Here it is:

  • 200 yards flutter kick with board
  • 200 yards pull with pull bouy
  • 100 yards front crawl- fingertip drag drill
  • 50 yards front crawl- sprint
  • 100 yards front crawl- high elbow drill
  • 300 yards front crawl- moderate pace, breathing every 4/5 strokes (every 2/3 strokes when you become tired)
  • 150 yards front crawl- cool down (slow pace, breathing at your own comfort level)
See bullet point number 6?  Yup, 300 yards continuous.  I was not looking forward to that.  I knew it wasn't possible for me to swim 300 yards.  But, I started the workout.  And made it through the first 5 bullet points.

I started the 300 at an easy pace.  300 yards later, I finished.  I'll repeat:  I swam 300 yards continuously!  Now, it's not that exciting because the pool was in its 25yd setup and I pushed off the wall, but even at the end, I wasn't gasping for breath and felt like I could go on for a while.  In fact, I only rested for about 30 seconds before I tackled the 150 cool down without a problem.

I'm excited that I'm making noticeable progress now.  Unlike running, I really don't have a way to measure progress.  Even if I'm improving, it doesn't feel like it because swimming is just so unnatural.  Thus, being able to go a longer distance gives me some encouragement that I may be doing something right.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails